Money Mule Scams
If someone sends you money and asks you to send it to someone else, STOP. You could unknowingly be what some people call a money mule — someone scammers use to transfer and launder stolen money. Scammers often ask you to buy gift cards or wire money. They might recruit you through online job ads, prize offers, or dating websites.
- Never use your own bank account, or open one in your name, to transfer money for an employer.
- Never pay to collect a prize or move any money out of your “winnings.”
- Never send money to an online love interest, even if he or she sends you a check first.
- Break off contacts with the scammers and stop moving money for them.
- Tell your bank and the wire transfer or gift card company — right away.
- Report it to the Federal Trade Commission at ftc.gov/complaint.
Would you like to know more about...
Expect convenience. Get 24/7 account access.
Uncover even more ways to review and manage your finances with Online Banking.